Stantec Data Scientist (Water Sector) in High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Stantec UK has an exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist to join our team in High Wycombe. This is a permanent role.
The successful candidate will sit within our Dams team.
In this role you will be an essential part of a high profile International Dams and Reservoirs team and will be involved with the following:
• Exploratory data analysis and manipulation, data cleansing of large scale data sets including multi-dimensional arrays.
• Manipulation and management of large geospatial and timeseries based data (“Big Data”). Data will include (but is not limited to) LIDAR, InSAR topography, satellite based meteorological data, gridded soils data, topographical mapping, and hydro-meteorological time series.
• Geospatial processing and automation within an ArcGIS environment. Use of automation procedures using ModelBuilder and Python for both the production of tools and for batching catchment-wide analysis techniques.
• Hydrological modelling using conceptually lumped and spatially distributed modelling techniques for a variety of climate types (temperate, semi-arid, tropical) and with particular focus on calibration techniques. This will include unit hydrograph runoff models for flooding and surface runoff models for yield analysis.
• Hydraulic modelling of surface waters, reservoirs and hydraulic structures. Primarily the techniques will focus on ancillary structures of dams (spillways, low level outlets, turbine systems) but also include overland flow models for dam break assessments.
• Development of bespoke numerical and statistical simulations and models with scripting languages. This includes automation of analysis techniques and data-mining from online/API interfaces and FTP servers.
• Economic appraisal and energy yield of hydropower schemes both within a UK and international environment.
• Research into data science and machine learning applications within the dams and hydropower field. Implement machine learning and automation techniques to streamline decision making on a wide variety of related topics.
• Proposals and bids for UK and international dams and hydropower work.
Data Scientist (Water Sector)
To be successful in this role you will have the following;
• Relevant engineering, geospatial or hydrological orientated educational background, preferably to a post-graduate level.
• Chartership (CEng, CEnv, CGeog) is not essential for the role itself, but professional commitment to institutional level development is beneficial for internal career development and demonstrating competency to prospective clients.
• Strong mathematical/statistical background is essential.
• Experience with manipulation of relational databases (such as SQL)
• Experience of data management and automation using scripting languages is essential. The language primarily used in the role will be Python.
• Expert knowledge of ArcGIS including the spatial analyst toolbox, 3D analyst toolbox and ModelBuilder.
• Experience with the DHI suite of software (Mike11, Mike21, Mike SHE, etc) and other hydraulic modelling packages.
• The role is client facing and good verbal and written communication skills are essential.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
Civil Engineering, Engineering Other, Technical Support, Technology
At MWH, we believe growing a great engineering, consulting and construction services company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary. We believe that building a great career is as important as Building a Better World .
If working on the best water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world’s top talent appeals to you, join us.
MWH Global…we’re looking for opportunities.
Location (Hold Ctrl key to select more than one Location):